Looking for the best espresso machine for latte in the new year? Well you’ve come to the right place.
There are so many espresso machines out there, but sometimes they don’t actually have the capability to make the perfect latte.
They claim they can, but the frothed milk turns out a disaster or you’re not quite getting that premium coffee shop quality latte that you always wanted.
We know, it sucks, but there could be many reasons you’re not making a great latte but the main reason is the espresso machine you have.
In this article we’ll be reviewing the top 8 espresso machines for lattes that will result in one of the best lattes your taste buds have ever tried.
Top Pick: The Best Espresso Machine for Lattes?
Editors Rating :
Looking for a good latte machine on a budget? Well Mr Coffee Cafe Barista is the peoples choice.
Producing lattes that transcend you away from your mundane office work and into a world of relaxation.
Check out the price below and secure yours now.
Mr. Coffee has given you a famous espresso latte maker, which is one of the best espresso machines for under $200. This product from Amazon's Option is sure not to disappoint!
Read our short summary of Mr Coffee Cafe barista below where we break down the features, what we liked about this awesome machine, and what we don't like.
#1 - Mr Coffee ‘Cafe Barista
- Semi automatic 3 in 1 espresso maker, cappuccino maker, and latte maker
- 15 Bar Pump System Brews Rich Tasting Espresso Coffee
- Trouble Free Automatic Milk Frother Removes the Guesswork. Do not wash the water reservoir in the dishwasher
- One touch control panel for drink selections
This awesome semi automatic 3 in 1 espresso maker, cappuccino and latte maker has been produced by Mr Coffee, which is sure to please the office masses! You will surely be the king (or queen) of the office with a range of different drinks when you surprise your workers with this gadget.
Packed with a 15 bar pump system, the gadget can only brew the richest tasting espresso coffee you've ever encountered from your taste buds.
It also has an automated milk frother built in, which eliminates any guesswork from the perfect latte brewing. "This will fit perfectly in any office kitchen, standing tall at 12.6" x 8.9" wide and 11.2" deep.
What we loved about this coffee maker was that it is probably the market's most affordable semi-automatic coffee maker that produces top-notch latte drinks.
Our dislike was that when it comes to producing milk-based beverages, we want to hav Te complete autonomy to be able to regulate the milk froth. In addition, it does not accommodate taller cups, which can be a shame if you want a big American beverage.
Recommended Article: Best Cups for Latte Art
#2 - De’Longhi 15-Bar-Pump Espresso Machine
- Pump driven and 15 bars
- Automatically self-primes; Water level indicator: Yes
- Use pods or ground coffee with the convenient patented filter holder. On/off switch- Yes
- Craft cappuccinos or lattes with the patented easy to use frothier
The De'Longhi EC702 Semi-Automatic Espresso Makers must be the best espresso machine for latte for any home. It automatically self-primes and also includes a level of water indicator, meaning you'll understand what it's time to refill the water resovior tank of 44 ounces.
It comes with a descaler, a double and single filter basket-presurized portafilter. The unit is not that tall and very light, which means it's ideal for the top of the counter.
The water reservator has a float to help you see when the water tank is running low, which serves as a visual aid. Helping you to reduce the chance of drying and destroying the boiler.
You have the choice of using pre-ground coffee, a pod or freshly grinded coffee beans with a pressurized portafilter. It does not come with a bean grinder, however.
The machine has a built-in tamper, but the tamper can not be removed, unlike some of the Breville machines, making it very difficult to level off and tamp your ground coffee.
#3 - De’Longhi ECP3220R Latte Machine
- Every cup to your liking: 15-bar professional pressure assures quality results every time, and adjustable controls allow you to make modifications for your personal taste preferences.
- Brew like a Pro: whatever your preference – single or double Espresso, cappuccino or latte – the machine brews authentic barista-quality beverages just like you enjoy at your favorite coffeehouse.
- Your foam, your way: a manual frothier mixes steam and milk to create a rich, creamy froth for evenly textured drinks – just the way you like them.
- One Espresso shot or two: The three-in-one filter holder, included with the unit, has a holder for one Espresso shot, a holder for two shots, and one for an easy-serve Espresso Pod – whatever your preference.
Don't be misled into believing that only espresso shots are made by the de'longhi bar pump espresso machine! The drip tray will slide straight out and fit bigger cups comfortably, making it suitable for lattes.
It has a water tank built into it, which can be easily removed and refilled. The water tank is a big tank with a capacity of 37 ounces, making it suitable for several drinks.
Compared to some of the others on the list, what makes this a very good machine is that it comes with two coffee filters, one for a single shot of espresso or a double shot of espresso. These are stored conveniently in the computer, making it convenient for later access.
#4 - Breville BES870XL Barista Express
- Dose control grinding: Integrated conical burr grinder grinds on demand to deliver the right amount of freshly ground coffee directly into the portafilter for your preferred taste with any roast of the bean
- Precise espresso extraction: Digital temperature control (PID) delivers water at precisely the right temperature, ensuring optimal Espresso extraction
- Micro foam milk Texturing: The steam wand performance allows you to hand texture micro foam milk that enhances flavor and enables creation of latte art
- Grind size dial: Simple and intuitive, giving you control over the grind size no matter what type of bean you're grinding
Another great latte machine, one of my favorite Breville machines, and my first as well! It comes with a built-in bean grinder that grinds to acute fines with whole fresh coffee beans. There is a small control knob that enables the bean grind size to be changed, making it either very fine or a little coarse.
This role will really help you boost the consistency of your espresso shots, making them really good for the perfect drink based on latte or other milk.
At 67 ounces, it has an extremely large water tank, which is one of the features that makes this system less susceptible to frequent refilling of water.
This is a semi-automatic coffee machine, which implies that the pump that perfumes the extraction has a boiler, portafilter and a switch to activate/deactivate.
#5 - Breville BES920BSXL Dual Boiler Espresso Machine
- Dual stainless steel boilers and dual Italian pumps for simultaneous espresso extraction and steaming
- Over-Pressure Valve (OPV) limits extraction pressure
- Electronic PID temperature control for precise water temperature
- Backlit LCD displays brew temperature, shot clock or time
A top-of-the-line, semi-automatic coffee machine is this Breville BES920BSXL Dual Boiler espresso machine! For simultaneous espresso extraction, it has a dual stainless steel boiler and dual Italina pumps.
Although it does not have a pre-programmed button to immediately make a latte, it does have the technology to create the perfect espresso shot that will go very well with the correct frothed milk.
The best feature is that the temperature of the steam boiler can be regulated and adjusted to 265 - 285 F and also comes with a water hardness test that you enter the machine, and the machine will let you know when to decal it.
It also has pre-programmable presets for single or double shot shot volume, or if you want to go manually, you can. For a coffee connoisseur who needs the utmost precision while making their lattes, this machine is the ultimate machine.
If in the past you had coffee machines, and you were searching for your next purchase, then this is it!
#6 - Dolce Gusto Cappuccino and Latte Pod Machine
- The Nescafe Dolce Gusto Genio 2 is an automatic capsule coffee machine, designed to perfectly fit your single cup, black and specialty coffee brewing needs with a small footprint
- COFFEE HOUSE INSPIRED DRINKS - Explore the wide variety of decadent flavors and coffee house inspired drinks offered by the Nescafe Dolce Gusto capsule-based coffee machine. With 15 flavor varieties, choose from authentic Espresso, Americano, Cappuccino, Latte, and more.
- EASY INTERFACE - Use the toggle-stick to adjust the LED display controlling the size and intensity of your coffee, Match the LED bars to the bars on your Dolce Gusto capsule, position the toggle stick to either hot or cold, and brew.
- PRESSURE BASED SYSTEM – The Genio 2’s 15 bars of pressure allows high level extraction for optimal flavor, aroma, and body delivered consistently in every cup
The Dolce Gusto cappuccino and latte pod system is very simple to use and simply takes coffee pods from a range of distinct pod flavors.
This company has Nescafe specialty coffee pods and you will simply need to buy, for example, dolce gusto vanilla latte macchiato pods and load them into the machine to make a latte. You're going to have two packets, a milk pod and a coffee pod, and they're going to use both of them to make one regular drink.
I had some of these devices for years, but wasn't really a fan of the specialty coffee that included the condensed milk capsule. Because the milk tastes different from making a chilled soy, fresh, almond milk latte!
Other than that, they make very decent starter machines and are great on a budget for everyone.
#7 - Nespresso Vertuo
- AUTOMATIC COFFEE/ESPRESSO MACHINE: Create barista grade brewed single serve coffee or espresso cups at the touch of a single button. Designed for use with Nespresso Vertuo capsules only
- VERSATILE COFFEE MAKER: Brew 5 different cup sizes at the touch of a button - Espresso (1.35 oz), Double Espresso (2.7 oz), Gran Lungo (5 oz), Coffee (7.7 oz) and Alto (14 oz). Pour over ice to create your favorite iced coffee and latte drinks
- SMART COFFEE MAKER: Brew the perfect single serve coffee or espresso drink time after time, thanks to Nespresso's Centrifusion technology using barcodes to deliver the best in-cup results including the perfect crema for large coffee cup sizes
- FEATURES: Includes 40 oz. water removable water tank for no hassle refilling. Fast heat up time of only 15 seconds. Each machine includes a complimentary starter set of Nespresso capsules (capsule assortment may vary from picture)
This Nespresso VertuoPlus latte and espresso maker must be the next best single-serve latte pod coffee maker. In reality, the Vertuoplus uses entirely different pod shapes that have been built to deliver some coffee or espresso of decent quality.
Easy to use, just pop the pod into it and start making your coffee using the one touch brewing method. In reality, this machine can brew many different sizes of single serving coffee cups. Espresso brew, double espresso, gran lungo, chocolate or even Alto-sized beverages.
What we liked about this unit was the water cylinder's huge storage capacity, which was a generous 40 fluid ounces. It was not just that it could be rotated to a place appropriate for your counter space! That's impressive now.
A major dislike of this model was that you had to use specially formulated capsules of vertuo and you could not combine them with ordinary capsules of Nespresso. If there were a pod converter to allow you to use ordinary capsules, then we probably wouldn't have anything bad to say!
Ultimate Buyers Guide for Best Espresso Machine for Latte
So what do you need to know about a good latte machine before you buy it? Well it boils down to several factors, and that’s where we are here to help.
We talk about some simple things like how easy it is to use? Do you need fancy touch screen buttons or are you just a dial and knob kind of person.Whatever the reason we hope our buyers guide, will guide you in the right direction at buying the best espresso machine for good lattes.
Ease of Use
The most important factor to remember when you're looking to purchase an latte machine is how simple it is to use!
After unwrapping your espresso machine from the shop, the worst thing you will find is that it is very difficult to use, or it takes too long to use.
Every espresso machine has some kind of guidance on how to set up the espresso machine, how to descale it so that hard water or just general maintenance can be extracted.
The other thing to remember is whether or not the water tank is removable, when it is very quick and convenient to remove the water tank to refill. You'll need a jug or something that can carry water to pass it to the computer if you can't drain it.
The danger is that in areas of the system you don't want to spill water, which can cause harm to the inner parts of the machine.
But you need to know how simple it is to use the latte machine that you'll get.
Recommended Article: Top Home Coffee Bar Accessories You Need
When buying an latte machine, this is often overlooked. By capacity, we mean how much water the water tank will carry until it needs to be filled up again.
You'll often find yourself refilling it more often than you like when you have a water tank that is small, which can become a little boring.
We also recommend having an espresso machine with a wide holding capacity so that before needing to refill the water, you can make at least 4-8 regular drinks.
Types of Espresso Machines for Lattes
There are so many different espresso machines on the market, and I'm going to try to cover some of the big ones mentioned above.
So let's break down the various forms of espresso machines you're most likely going to find in your life (there's much more seriously than this).
semi-automatic espresso machines
Behind them, semi automatic espresso machines also have customization, which is perfect if you want to make different kinds of drinks.
Most have developed bean hoppers that can hold your beans, but you need to have a grinding environment for unique drinks to be made.
There is a little bit of experience required, but most machines come with instructions to help you set them up.
super automatic espresso machines
Super automatic espresso machines, which can grind coffee beans for you, must be the tip of the iceberg.
All these machines are mechanical, they have push buttons to make drinks and some of them do need you to froth the milk as the only real part is.
I've seen those in a business setting that have a milk fridge and the milk is simply frothed and poured into the drink. Getting coffee makes it super simple.
In our view, some of these devices can be very costly. So if there's a budget for you, then go for it.
pod espresso machines
There's a lot of pod espresso machines out there, and I'm sure some of them, like Nespresso or Delonghi, you've heard of.
The pods come in a range of kinds, small black or long, flavored or not, and the computer inserts these pods.
Both machines have their own coffee brewing mechanisms that are very technical, but all you need to know is that they have their own water filters.
Simply pop the pod into the machine, click the brew button, and your single or double espresso shot comes out.
What I like about these machines is that they're very easy to use, always contributing to a major upgrade from regular black coffee.
Nice for those who don't want to worry about coffee, and sometimes cleaner than semi-automatic coffee machines, too.
Frequently Asked Questions about Espresso Machines for Lattes!
Now that we have all the important aspects of espresso machines aside and have also discussed what is the best espresso machine for latte, we need to answer some frequently asked questions.
After all, you're probably going to have some usual questions that a lot of people tend to ask before making an investment and purchasing an espresso machine, whether it's first there, replacement, or just getting another one for the office.
Can you make lattes with espresso machines?
Not all espresso machines can make lattes for you when you get them right out of the box, this is because some lower end ones probably don’t have a built in milk frother.
If you did end up buying an espresso machine like this, don’t worry because all you need to do is buy a good milk frother then you’re off to making lattes.
However, our espresso machine review only contains espresso machines that can make a latte right out of the box. Saving you time and frustration when opening your new latte machine.
Which coffee machine is best for latte?
There are many espresso machines that we have reviewed in this article that can make a decent latte.
However if you want to make seriously good lattes then you need to invest in a better espresso machine, higher quality coffee beans and even consider using filtered water.
These three aspects are what drives the taste and quality for a good latte. So if you want to get good lattes all the time, consider getting one of the breville barista machines we have reviewed.
Do you need espresso to make a latte?
Unfortunately you do need espresso to make a latte. We’ve tried making lattes with pour over coffee makers, instant coffee or even french press coffee makers and nothing compares to having a latte from espresso.
This is due to the brew method of the coffee, espresso when brewed well, generally has a crema layer on top and has a natural dark chocolatey tasting notes.
We believe that it is definitely a result of the brew method, and that brewing espresso will lead to a better latte overall.
How many shots of espresso are in a latte?
When we make our lattes in the office, we generally use a single shot of espresso to get a smooth tasting latte.
If you want a stronger, more caffeinated hit, then you can also give a double shot of espresso a go.
We found that having a double shot led to more caffeine concentration and also a more aromatic latte.
Overall the number of shots is generally a user preference.
So there you have it, we have reviewed the best espresso machine for latte which will give you a damn good latte each and every time.
Our top pick has to be the mr coffee cafe barista, due to being cost effective as well as producing really good espresso.
However we do prefer semi-automatic espresso machines that have pre-programmed features to make a latte, this is because they already have the settings of the milk froth and temperature already set.
So there is no guesswork, the only downside is that it can cost a bit to some.
Until next time, happy caffeinating.