Espresso is an extremely wonderful delicacy that many come to enjoy, but regular espresso beans are not the same as the best organic coffee beans for espresso.
Regular coffee beans can often be highly acidic and can lead to reflux for many espresso lovers, which can lead to an enjoyable tasting experience followed by a bit of discomfort.
If you’re one of the many people who suffer from stomach discomfort when enjoying espresso from regular coffee beans, then you need to try organic coffee beans!
Grown in mountain shade regions, and free of any pesticides or inorganic substances these coffee beans generally are low acid organic coffee beans in nature.
So, in this article we’ll be discussing the healthiest organic coffee brands for espresso that will lead to a much enjoyable espresso experience, from the number one pick to our least favorite. Following that, we’ll highlight some benefits of organic coffee beans used for espresso and finish off with some frequently asked questions.
There are so many organic coffee beans that are used for espresso, but we only wanted to focus on the top 7 as these are the best on the market currently.Let’s dive right into the best organic coffee beans for espresso and get to our top espresso beans that are organic.
Summary of The 7 Best Organic Coffee Beans for Espresso
If you're just looking for the top organic espresso coffee beans, without wanting to read our in depth review then take a look at the list below.
The organic espresso coffee beans below can be considered 100% USDA Certified organic beans that can be used for espresso and we've excluded ones that aren't worthy of this list.
LifeBoost Organic Espresso Coffee Beans
Volcanica Mexican Reserve Espresso Beans
Kicking Horse Coffee, Cliff Hanger Espresso, Medium Roast, Whole Bean, 2.2 Pound - Certified Organic, Fairtrade, 35.2 Ounce
Death Wish Coffee, Organic and Fair Trade Dark Roast Whole Bean Coffee, 16 oz
Allegro Coffee Organic Espresso Sierra Whole Bean Coffee, 12 oz
Subtle Earth Organic Coffee - Dark Roast - Whole Bean Coffee - 100% Arabica Beans - Low Acidity and Non-GMO - 2lb bag
Mayorga Organics Café Cubano, Dark Roast Whole Bean Coffee, 2lbs Bag, Specialty-Grade, 100% USDA Organic, Non-GMO Verified, Direct Trade, Kosher
Our Top Pick: Best Organic Espresso Coffee Beans is...
Editors Rating :
Looking for the best organic espresso coffee beans that have amazing aromas and taste delicious?
Lifeboost espresso organic coffee is what you need for your next single or double shot of espresso! Check out the link below to see more information or continue reading our full review below.
#1 - Lifeboost Organic Espresso Roast Coffee
Lifeboost espresso organic coffee is the best organic coffee beans for espresso hands down and is considered a premium dark roasted organic bean among others.! If you're yearning for a rich chocolatey and caramel espresso coffee that will give your morning routine some meaning, then this is it! These organic espresso beans are for just about anyone who loves espresso coffee.
Cultivated in the mountain shade regions of Nicaragua and then hand picked by locals that are part of the fair trade organization, you can rest assure that your organic espresso beans are nothing short of being handled by delicate hands. It makes a delightful espresso shot on its own, or the best base for a latte, cappuccino or Americano.
These single origin, 100% Arabica espresso beans have a distinct characteristic about them that leads it to being one of the most delicious and unique organic espresso coffee. Not only that but are 3rd party test for mycotoxins, heavy metals, pesticides and 400 other toxins.
You can guarantee you're receiving the most healthiest organic coffee on the market that are 100% USDA organic certified with additional testing done on them, to ensure the utmost premium organic espresso coffee bean. We went above and beyond with Lifeboost and even did a full lifeboost coffee review over here : Lifeboost Coffee Reviews
What we loved about these beans was the intense aroma once brewed and it's exquisite unique silky chocolate taste with hints of caramel. Besides that, life boost coffee goes the extra mile to ensure they stand out from the rest by having their beans 3rd party tested to ensure mycotoxin free organic coffee!
Our only dislike is the price tag on these beans! They're definitely not for the faint of heart, but if you're serious about trying premium organic espresso coffee, then you need to invest in these to enjoy having healthy organic coffee.
#2 - Volcanica Mexican Reserve Organically Grown Coffee (Dark Roast)
Our next top organic espresso coffee bean is this dark roasted Mexican reserve organically grown coffee by Volcanica.
Having a medium acidity and delivering a sweet smooth body coffee with earthy undertones and hints of freshly roasted hazelnuts, it is bound to deliver you a well balance cup of espresso in the morning.
This single origin espresso coffee bean has been fair trade certified, meaning you know that the coffee farmers from the Chiapas regions, in Mexico, are being well compensated for their hard work.
Unlike lifeboost organic espresso coffee beans, these beans are not USDA certified and only have been organically grown. Despite this, the mexican reserve coffee is still considered a pick compared to our other selections.
We enjoyed this rich bodied coffee which gave us earthy cocoa tones that had hints of hazelnuts and maple syrup.
Our dislikes were that it was only organically grown and not USDA certified, which is a shame because this is another highly recommended organic espresso coffee bean.
Our recommendation is to give it a try, you'll enjoy it, however if you're strictly after certified organic coffee, then you need to give it a miss.
#3 - Kicking Horse Cliff Hanger Espresso
- One Bag of Cliff Hanger Espresso Whole Bean Blend
- Roast: Medium
- Certifications: Certified Organic, Fairtrade, Kosher Coffee
Looking for a bright more fruity, medium roasted, organic espresso coffee bean that delivers silky and complex tones with a smooth cocoa finish? If you answered yes to this, then you need to try Kicking horse cliff hanger espresso coffee beans.
These beans are best brewed as espresso, or can be brewed with a French press, pour over or even makes for a decent cold brew coffee.
Roasted in the rocky mountains of Canada, these multi-origin certified organic espresso beans are sure to pack a punch if you're looking for having espresso from a shot glass! So get ready to wake up and kick ass with this Fairtrade espresso coffee.
Kicking horse was started in a garage, but now they have a dedicated coffee shop in Canada! So if you want o have good espresso from the horses mouth (not literally) then you need to try it by their top class baristas, the experience will be one to enjoy.
What we loved about kicking horse cliff hanger coffee was the heavenly, bright and light bodied profile. Our tasting experience gave us hints of wild berry syrup with a smooth cocoa finish.
Our only dislike with kicking has was that it was a multi-origin coffee bean. We do believe that if you want to have the most premium organic coffee, it should be single origin (beans from one region). However, if you love a bit of mixture to create a different tasting profile then these beans are for you.
#4 - Death Wish Organic Whole Bean Espresso Coffee
- EXTRA KICK OF CAFFEINE: Our whole roasted coffee beans will utterly transform your basic cup of joe into a delicious, bold, and intense beverage that will revolutionize your morning. Super fuel for life in the fast lane, our dark coffee beans will ignite your senses and supply you with an abundance of energy your body needs to perform at its peak condition all day long.
- PREMIUM QUALITY BREW: This ain't your normal cup of coffee - our whole bean roasted coffee is hands down the best this world has to offer. With just one sip of our dark roast whole bean coffee, you'll be saying goodbye to store-bought coffee forever. Enjoy the perfect blend of high quality energy and artisanal flavor with each and every sip of our roasted coffee beans.
- EMBRACE THE BOLD: Immerse yourself in a smooth, subtle cherry and chocolate flavor profile that is never bitter. We've thoughtfully and carefully selected premium Arabica and Robusta whole coffee beans from around the world to deliver you a coffee beans dark roast beverage with a bold taste you’ll find irresistible and instantly fall in love with.
- FAIR TRADE AND ORGANIC: Every single 80 oz. Death Wish Coffee whole bean bag is filled to the top with organic whole coffee beans that will create coffee so good that it will blow your mind. Fair Trade and USDA certified organic, our coffee whole beans give you a natural caffeine boost that you can be feel good to support.
Death wish coffee is another USDA certified organic coffee that is worth noting! Delivering creamy chocolate flavors it is surely a bold flavor of coffee to be immersed in from its dark roasted coffee bean.
If you're looking for an intense, smoky organic espresso coffee, that is high in caffeine then this may be fore you. Another fair trade coffee that has left happy customers all around.
What we loved about these coffee beans was the unique marketing profile they used to get their product across. Marketed as being high in caffeine, it can be easily seen by those that love a lot of caffeine and are always opting for a double espresso shot. Besides that, death wish coffee had an enjoyable taste and certainly got us moving off our feet (not sure if a placebo).
Our only dislike was that their marketing tactic seemed a bit empty, as most coffee beans all contain the same amount of caffeine per serve. So if you're a coffee enthusiast like us, you'll instantly question this! Other than that, the coffee was intense as stated but only so with a double shot.
#5 - Allegro Organic Espresso Beans Sierra
- Amazing products, exceptional ingredients, no compromises
- Specialty whole bean coffee
- Medium dark roast
- Dark chocolate, caramel, layered
Allegro organic espresso sierra is a medium dark roast coffee bean that offers a dark chocolate taste with layered hints of caramel, perfect for those who love caramel.
Another top organic espresso coffee bean that is multi origin beans, which have been sourced directly from the hills and farms of Latin America and Indonesia. So if you love beans from these regions, the Allegro organic espresso mix will deliver a perfect cup of espresso for you.
Besides having this organic coffee as espresso, it also makes the perfect cup of joe with a pour over coffee maker or a French press. The beans are 100% USDA certified and also rain forest alliance certified.
What we loved about these beans was that the flavor wasn't over powering and it left a delicious after taste. We also tried making a cappuccino with it and it delivered the most delicious cup.
The only dislike we had was when we ordered the beans it had a 3 week expiration date. After reviewing several other comments, it seemed to be a trend. So if you're an avid coffee lover, then the 3 week expiry date won't be to long as you'd use the beans before the expiry date.
#6 - Subtle Earth Organic Espresso Coffee Beans
- ORIGIN - Subtle Earth Organic Coffee features beans sourced from Honduras that gives the coffee a full bodied, deep, rich, chocolatey flavor with a clean finish and low acidity.
- AROMATIC NOTES - This whole bean coffee blend tastes of smooth milk chocolate with notes of honey, caramel, and cocoa. A full caramelization of the natural sugars in the bean give this dark coffee an intense roastiness, while retaining its full body character and smooth, pleasant aftertaste.
- EXPERTLY ROASTED - We artisan roast our coffee beans in small batches just prior to shipping to ensure peak flavor and optimal freshness.
- QUALITY (& RESPONSIBILITY) - Our dark roast beans are “Specialty” rated and expertly roasted for consistent quality. Our coffee is ethically sourced and USDA Organic Certified. Keto and vegan friendly and gluten and nut free.
Our next organic espresso coffee bean are these subtle earth dark roasted beans, that deliver a profound depth of rich chocolate and are low acid beans.
This single origin bean boasts flavors directly from the mountains of Honduras and is a USDA organic certified coffee bean that is roasted in small batches, to improve consistency. The farmers only use organic fertilizer with no insecticides or pesticides, meaning they are truly organic coffee beans.
These 100% Arabica coffee beans are definitely not on the cheap end, but deliver an amazing full bodied cup of coffee.
Besides having these beans in a single shot espresso glass, you could also try them with a French press or drip coffee maker. They make a perfect cup for whatever your preference is.
What we loved about these coffee beans was the delicious bold flavorful taste it had. Every cup of espresso taste just right for us
Our biggest dislike was the price which is almost on par with Lifeboost coffee and for an extra $10, your coffee beans are also 3rd party tested, which is what subtle earth fail to provide. That is why we rated this almost last.
#7 - Mayorga Organics Dark Roast Organic Coffee Beans
- MAYORGA COFFEE CAFÉ CUBANO ROAST - Our Roastmaster craft roasts our coffees from Peru, Honduras and/or Nicaragua, and gives our Café Cubano Roast a unique flavor profile that makes this cuban-style roast a Mayorga favorite. Mayorga has perfected this smooth, dark roast cuban coffee with hints of vanilla and sweet, syrupy smokiness, with a smooth, and bold finish and low acidity.
- 100% ARABICA WHOLE BEAN COFFEE - Start your day by enjoying the freshness of our organic coffee beans blend consisting of small farmers' best offerings from Latin America. Our whole bean coffee is perfect for coffee lovers who prefer to grind at home for the smoothest, freshest, most flavorful coffee experience.
- SIGNATURE SLOW-ROASTING PROCESS - Mayorga cofee is specialty grade, 100% Arabica, shade-grown coffee, roasted and packaged in the USA. Using our signature Latin slow-roasting process to craft roast our coffee in small batches, we are able to give each of our signature roasts a distinct flavor and ensure the highest quality.
- ALWAYS ORGANIC & SUSTAINABLY SOURCED - We believe our customers deserve to consume clean, unadulterated foods. Our 100% organic products are kind to our environment, our customers, and our farmers. This mindset permeates through all aspects of how we run our business and the decisions we make. Operating sustainably isn't a marketing concept. It's a conscientious decision we must make daily.
Lastly on our life of the best organic coffee beans for espresso are these Mayorga Cubano dark roast coffee beans, perfect for those who love making cuban coffee. You can expect to have a full bodied bold coffee with a smooth and sweet taste with hints of vanilla.
This cafe cubano roast is a single origin coffee which is specialty grade and perfect to have as a cuban coffee. The beans are Non-GMO and also 100% USDA certified just like the other 6 selections in our list, making it perfect for any organic coffee lover.
What we loved about this organic espresso bean was that it was actually reasonably priced, making it affordable for most.
Our only dislike was the flavor profile was slightly off from the description. Our tasting experience yielded a smokey bitterness to the beans, however this could have been the fact that we used an espresso maker to brew the coffee.
5 Benefits of Organic Espresso Coffee Beans
Organic coffee has a tonne of benefits, but we wanted to keep this short and only cover 5 of the most important organic coffee benefits compared to regular coffee.
Organic roasted espresso beans are dark roasted beans that come from organically grown coffee! So, as well as their being organic espresso beans you could also get a french roasted organic coffee bean.
It all depends on the roast, but besides that, organic coffee has several benefits vs regular coffee, let's take a look below;
- Naturally grown: Organic coffee is typically grown in mountain shade regions without any nasty pesticides or fungicides. Regular coffee is often dosed with a variety of chemicals to protect the crop, and as a result has an inherent naturally high acidity compared to organic coffee.
- Low Acid: If you’ve been drinking regular coffee quite frequently and always have an upset stomach or reflux after each cup, then that is due to the acidity. Since organic coffee is naturally grown, free of chemicals, it is low acidic.
- Grown in Shade: Organic espresso beans are shade grown in cleaner nutrient rich soils, meaning they are naturally protected by larger trees and are less over-exposed to harsh sunlight conditions.
- Free of Mycotoxins: A large variety of organic espresso coffee beans are free from mycotoxins, but not all organic coffee is. The list we presented can be considered highly purified organic espresso beans.
- Improves Energy Levels: Drinking caffeine in general will help improve your energy level, however have you noticed that some caffeine can cause you to have the coffee jitters. However, organic coffee being more purified will lead to a more healthier increase in energy levels as a result of being in your bloodstream.
So there you have it, 5 quick benefits of organic coffee espresso beans that will reinforce your perception that these beans are better quality than regular coffee beans.
Buyers Guide to Organic Coffee Beans for Espresso
So we’ve just covered off the best organic coffee beans for espresso, these can be considered premium organic coffee brands which have been filtered from a large selection.
However, you may still need further reassurance on how to buy the best organic beans so that you can enjoy the best espresso money can buy.
We’ve developed a buyers guide to the best organic espresso coffee beans that will aid your decision and hopefully, show you the light that organic coffee beans are better than regular beans.
So let’s dive right into this buyers guide and the elements you have to consider when buying espresso coffee beans that are organic.
Look for the USDA Organic Logo!
Verified organic espresso beans generally have the USDA organic logo printed directly onto the packaging and also within the text of the coffee bean product description.
USDA organic is a verification method used to determine whether a product is really organic or not. This means certifiers are going to your production plant to see how you producing your product, in this case coffee beans.
Organic certification is typically done in 5 steps, which includes having a developed organic system in place ( they look for characteristics such has crop growth and harvesting methods), that is generally easily implemented.
If the organic coffee brand that sells espresso beans has these processes in place, the USDA will review them by visual inspection and your processes will undertake a vigorous review of compliance. From all of this a report is produced about your product.
On completion, there’s a certifying agent that will then review this report and a decision is made from this point on.
Consider the growing methods!
Generally speaking, the majority of all organic coffee beans are shade grown. Shade grown allows your coffee cherry, the fruit produced by the coffee plant, to be free of pests (hence no need to use pesticides).
When coffee farmers use pesticides then the products are no longer USDA organic but rather used the word “Natural” in their product descriptions. Don’t be fooled, Natural does not mean it is organic.
According to the USDA, produce (including coffee plants), need to be grown in soil free of prohibited substances such as synthetic pesticides, herbicides or fungicides. So, if you see USDA certified logo’s on organic espresso coffee beans, rest assured that you are indeed having organic coffee beans.
The image below will help you decipher between organic and non organic coffee beans.
Acidity Can Be Beneficial
Espresso coffee depends on the level of acidity to be just right in order to get the full flavors, whether it is fruity and rich chocolatey or strong and smoky.
These flavors come from the roasting process and the way it is brewed and also depends on the beans being inherently acidic.
When you choose to have organic coffee, you compromise on this slightly so that distinct espresso taste you always love, may be altered ever so slightly.
This is because organic espresso coffee beans have a mild acidity to it, which can alter those aromas and the tasting experience.
Are the Organic Beans GMO Free
The term GMO stands for genetically modified organism according to Non GMO Project and it generally refers to laboratory modification of plant or animal organisms to achieve a certain characteristic (in our case taste or smell).
Non-GMO coffee is a requirement of USDA certification, which means when coffee farmers are growing their crop, the plants cannot be altered during the growing process.
However, this is not easily done and in fact it is only something done for research purposes according to this Brazilian Journal of Plant Physiology.
So rest assured, anything you purchase on the shelf goes from crop to harvest, roasting then packaging and brewed in your espresso machine.
Organic Espresso Beans F.A.Q’s!
Now that we’ve covered the best organic coffee beans for espresso, you’d probably like to know a little more before deciding to choose the best organic coffee beans.
We’ve searched high and low on the internet, searching for commonly asked questions about organic espresso beans compared to regular espresso beans.
Our compiled list of answers are below, however if you feel like we didn’t cover your question feel free to get in touch with us and we’ll be sure to include your question with a response when we update this article.
So let’s jump straight into our buyers guide, to make you a little bit extra aware of decaf coffee beans.
What coffee beans are best for espresso?
There are many organic espresso coffee beans that you could choose from, but we recommend trying lifeboost espresso coffee.
Lifeboost coffee is single origin, GMO free, pesticide free and even tested by 3rd party vendors for mycotoxins. It is one of the healthiest and tastiest cups of organic coffee you will ever try and we think they are the best organic beans for espresso.
This is why we chose them as the top spot.
Are organic coffee beans better?
As mentioned in our list of benefits of organic coffee beans vs regular coffee beans it can be seen as a much more healthier option and is definitely better than regular coffee.
They are a bit more expensive than regular espresso coffee beans, but that’s because of the processing required to get the world's best healthiest organic coffee.
Are all coffee beans organic?
Not all coffee beans are organic, you can find a variety of espresso beans that are regular however they generally have characteristics of the following;
- Highly acidic (can be bad for reflux or heartburn);
- Contains pesticides and herbicides.
- Does not deliver clean caffeine to your bloodstream.
- Is not shade grown, out of the path of harmful sunlight rays.
So there you have it, we’ve summarized the best organic coffee beans for espresso! The beans in these list can be considered premium beans, and have been hand picked from a large selection on the market.
Our top pick is Lifeboost organic espresso beans which will deliver you the same level of quality as your regular espresso beans, but without those nasty pesticides or acidic levels that can cause an upset stomach.
These beans have been grown in the shade of mountains, hand picked and washed in spring water, before being hand roasted and packaged with perfection. They are 100% USDA certified organic espresso beans and considered a go to for just about any coffee lover.
We hope you enjoyed our organic espresso coffee beans review and if you have any other suggestions feel free to write into us.
Until then, happy caffeinating.