Why do people drink decaf coffee?
For a caffeine loving junkie, the answer to why do people enjoy drinking decaf coffee when they are missing out on the real kick caffeine offers may not be so obvious! People love coffee and drink decaf coffee for its taste, health benefits and can be had even by lactating and pregnant women. Decaf coffee is perfect for pregnancy, breastfeeding, and conception.
Fresh smelling coffee is enjoyed by many people all over the world. Coffee is well known and one of the most enjoyed and healthiest beverages in the world. Some like decaf while some like the regular coffee with dairy.
Having coffee in appropriate amounts is healthy while over-consuming can be unhealthy to you.
Traditional coffee decaffeinated is free from caffeine to about 97 percent. You can still enjoy the flavor and aroma of coffee without getting impacted by the side effects of caffeine. It has all the enjoyable flavors of coffee beans, without much caffeine in it.
According to Healthline, Decaf coffee offers several health benefits, such as stimulants that can enhance BP thereby triggering tachycardia and arrhythmias. It can also minimize stress and anxiety and provide overall, better sleep for you.
High in antioxidants, which acts as an anti aging inhabitant and also has the ability to reduce certain types of cancer. So, as you can see, there are a plethora of benefits to drinking decaf coffee and this is why so many people drink it.
Recommended Article: Best Decaf Coffee Beans for Cold Brew
What is the point of decaf coffee?
To a lot of coffee drinkers, there may not be much point in drinking decaf coffee! But imagine if you're highly addicted to caffeine and want to kick the habit, which you may find very hard.
Integrating decaf coffee into your habitual morning coffee routine can help start the rehab process. Many people don't think there is a great purpose to decaf, but actually if you're wanting to enjoy the taste of coffee but trying to reduce your caffeine intake then this can be considered the biggest point.
Decaf coffee is considered a caffeine-minimized alternative to regular coffee. Decaf coffee is caffeine eliminated coffee or decaffeinated coffee.
Decaf Nutritional Value
It is considered that decaf coffee is abundant in antioxidants and minimizes the risk of severe diseases. People particularly having issues with caffeine can switch to decaf and enjoy the coffee at its best without excess caffeine to cause side effects.
The nutritional value of the decaf and regular coffee are identical except for the caffeine amount. The smell and taste are milder in decaf and the color is a little different than a regular coffee.
Decaf coffee comprises of different caffeine amounts, generally, for one cup, there's 3 mg present or say, 180mL cup comprises of 0-7mg caffeine. A regular coffee cup will have 70-140mg of caffeine on average.
It is made from coffee beans which have around 97 percent of its caffeine eliminated from it. This is done by employing carbon dioxide, water, or organic solvents. It starts with steaming the coffee beans that are not roasted.
The coffee beans are rinsed using a solvent. This solvent removes or eliminates the caffeine within the beans. A small proportion of around 1 percent of actual caffeine is left in the content.
Soaking the coffee beans in hot water, such as the swiss water process, also eliminates caffeine. Post the process they are immersed in coffee oils subjected to high temperatures. After this, the coffee oils are separated and left to dry.
Decaf is also made by eliminating caffeine using a charcoal filter or carbon dioxide using the Swiss water process.
Recommended Article: Is it Ok to Drink Decaf Coffee at Night
Is decaf coffee better for you?
Decaf provides some benefit over regular coffee as it has a minimized hypertensive effect. Also, the amount of caffeine is very less as compared to a regular coffee. You can still enjoy the aroma of coffee without fearing any palpitations later.
As with anything, do not overconsume decaf and limit the beverage to appropriate amounts of around 2cups to 4 cups.
Coffee has some vital nutrients like:
- Panthothenic acid- It's vitamin B5 which is essential for making blood cells.
- Riboflavin- It's vitamin B2 that assists in the break-down of fats, carbs, and proteins.
- Potassium- It's a mineral that is efficient in minimizing the retention of water in individuals having kidney disorders. It minimizes BP, prevents osteoporosis, and shields your kidney.
- Manganese- It's a mineral that enhances the health of your bones, regulates blood sugar, minimizes inflammation and risk of disease as it has antioxidant characteristics.
- Niacin- It is Vitamin B3 that minimizes triglycerides, shields from arthritis, and enhances heart health.
- Caffeic acid- These are phenols that are anti-carcinogenic and have anti-oxidant properties.
- Chlorogenic acid- This is an antioxidant for blood sugar regulation and prevents type-2 diabetes.
- Dicaffeoylquinic acid- It shields you from free radicals.
- Ferulic- It is an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant that shields you from UV light, Parkinson's, and Alzheimer's.
What is the difference between decaf and regular coffee?
Decaf coffee vs Regular Coffee:
- Caffeine amount-Decaf is like regular coffee with a very tiny caffeine amount in it. The caffeine is around 7mg for one cup but for a regular coffee, the same amount will have around 70mg per cup.
- Making-Decaf is made out of coffee beans which are decaffeinated with steam water press, organic solvents, or using hot water. Decaf is made with non-roasted coffee beans. While regular coffee is made with roasted coffee beans. The caffeine amount is around 60-70 percent. However, the benefits are the same as for decaf except for the side effects due to caffeine.
- Health benefits- Both of them offer some common health benefits while there are some health advantages, particularly to decaf coffee. Decaf coffee primarily due to minimal caffeine has no impact on the heart like palpitations, arrhythmia, and others which can be experienced with regular coffee.
- Taste- Decaf has coffee core taste and aroma as compared to a regular coffee. Decaf is comparatively convenient to consume freely without experiencing any side effects of caffeine while enjoying the coffee flavor and taste. The taste of the coffee is milder in decaf as compared to regular coffee.
- Equivalency- A decaf coffee consumed around 6 ounces will give 7 mg caffeine. This means you will consume around 10-20 cups of decaf which is equivalent to a cup of regular coffee.
- Antioxidants and pH levels- A regular coffee and decaf have antioxidants but decaf has 15 percent less and their pH levels are 5 but decaf is more acidic than regular coffee.
Coffee is liked by the majority of people all over the globe. It offers health benefits but it is best to consume it moderately, both regular and decaf.
Decaf coffee is made of decaffeinated coffee beans which have been washed with organic solvents or steam water pressed or soaked in hot water to eliminate caffeine.
For us, decaf coffee gives you the freedom to enjoy the coffee taste and flavor without experiencing any side effects associated with caffeine. Enjoy your Decaf coffee!