Ever wondered how your barista at your local coffee shop makes the perfect cup of coffee art for you every morning?
No? Well it doesn’t just happen by luck, but by using the best cups for latte art you’ll end up having coffee skills that will blow everyone away.
Latte cups are a special type of cup used for your favorite milk based drink, but to actually make quality coffee art you’ll need a certain cup to do so.
In this post we’ll be discussing the best latte cups you can use to make great latte art in your cups. Not only that, we’ll cover off some frequently asked questions about latte cups and latte art that you need to know.
So let’s dive straight into it!
5 Best Cups for Latte Art
- Coffeezone Barista Latte Art Cup and Saucer, 3 Capacity to Choose for Latte & Cappuccino & Double Espresso, New Bone China (Glossy Light Blue, 10.5 oz)
- Sweese 403.403 Cappuccino Cup and Saucer Set, 6 Ounce Perfect for Specialty Coffee Drinks, Latte, Cafe Mocha and Tea, Set of 4, Navy
- White Porcelain Jumbo Coffee Mugs Set of 4 - 16 Ounce Cups with Handle for Hot or Cold Drinks like Cocoa, Milk, Tea or Water - Smooth Ceramic with Modern Design
- Bodum Bistro 2 Piece double wall 0.45 L 15 oz Cafe Latte Cup, Clear
- Revolution Mod Macchiato Cup, 4 oz, Bright White
Our Top Barista Grade latte Mug Pick
Editors Rating :
Our top pick is this gorgeous professional looking barista grade latte mug and saucer from Coffee Zone.
Elegant in style, this latte cup is sure to make your art come off in style. Click the link below to find out more or read our full review below.
#1 - Coffee Zone Barista Latte Art Cup & Saucer
- Professional Cup Shape for Latte Art / Cappuccino / Americano Coffee
- Round Bottom -- Easy for barista to make latte art designs
- FDA & California Proposition 65 Passed -- New Bone China with high quality
- Full Capcity 10.5 oz for Latte Art Use ( Around 9 oz if use for normal drink )
Looking for a great professional barista porcelain cup made from high quality materials? The Coffee Zone latte art cup and saucer, will have you wishing you had these when you first discovered lattes.
One our best cups for latte art and also coming in a full capacity 8.5 oz cup which is perfect for cappuccino use or whether you're wanting to make decent latte art. These mugs will put you in the mood.
The flat bottom is designed to enhance your latte art, so that you deliver a top quality finish.
#2 - Sweese 403.403 Cappuccino Cup and Saucer
- AN ELEGANT WAY TO ENJOY YOUR LIFE - Is there anything more satisfying than that first sip of coffee in the morning? There’s no question that coffee is energizing and unbelievably delicious. Sipping piping hot caffeine as soon as possible prepares us for the day. Sweese cups will give you a perfect coffee time
- LARGE ENOUGH CAPACITY FOR COFFEE LOVER - Each cappuccino cup holds 6oz (without filling it to the very top). These cups are in the right size and thickness to keep the coffee warm.
- CUTE NAVY CUPS - Sweese porcelain cups have industry-favorite traditional contours, and steel blue adds a stylistic touch and brightens up your mornings. The sleek cups are sure to create a dining experience your guests won't soon forget.
- PRO-GRADE PORCELAIN & SAFE FOR DISHWASHER, MICROWAVE, OVEN AND FREEZER - These Sweese espresso cups are made of durable porcelain, a type of premium LEAD-FREE, chip-resistant and more sturdy than stoneware.
The sweese 403.403 latte cup and saucer set is not on the large mug size like the coffee zone cup we mentioned before, but making up for it's lack of size comes in a generous set of 4.
If you're not one to drink a large latte, but want something smaller and doesn't compromise on it's latte art ability, then this 6 oz cup is for you.
The flat bottom is designed to enhance your latte art, so that you deliver a top quality finish.
#3 - Teocera White Porcelain Jumbo Coffee Cups
- IMPROVED DESIGN FOR EASY USE -Our large coffee mugs have wide handles that are squared off at the top. This way it will be more comfortable to hold the jumbo mug and you won’t risk spilling your hot drink on yourself or on the carpet.
- ERGONOMIC SHAPE - These jumbo mugs have a rounded bottom and a wide top, so it’s easy to hold them and warm your hands with a hot beverage. They’re the perfect mugs for a cozy afternoon by the fire or outside on the porch, drinking something yummy.
- XL CAPACITY - These 16 oz giant mugs are for people that prefer large drinks. Either it’s a big latte, a strong black coffee, hot chocolate or tea, our mugs are perfect. You can even use them for breakfast cereals with milk or for soup.
- LONG LASTING PORCELAIN - These big mugs are great for office use and home use, as they can be used without problems both in cold and hot temperatures. The sturdy porcelain is oven, microwave, freezer and dishwasher safe.
Another great latte mug that is on the wider and larger side, are these Teocera porcelain latte mugs. Perfect for making latte art, these 16 oz cups can handle any artwork you want to design on the top.
Use these mugs at home or in your office, but for what ever reason you have in mind they can hold their own and allows plenty of room to make great latte art.
#4 - Bodum Bistro Latte Art Mugs
- Individually mouth-blown by expert artisans, BODUM's proprietary Double Wall Glasses feature two walls of borosilicate glass with air in between, creating a highly effective layer of insulation
- Silicone valve at base allows for changes in pressure
- Perfect for serving ice cream and soups
- Keeps ice solid longer
If you're looking for style then these double walled bodum latte art mugs is what you need in your coffee bar! A double wall glass has an added ability to act as an effective layer of insulation, which is good for retaining the heat in your latte.
Although they are stylish, for a single latte cup these premium cafe latte mugs don't come cheap. So if you have the budget for these, we highly recommend them. The flat bottom is designed to enhance your latte art, so that you deliver a top quality finish.
#5 -Revolution Mod Latte Cup
- The 4 oz Revolution cup is the perfect size for a macchiato
- Beautiful bright white and super-vitrified to create the most durable porcelain possible
- The handles are extremely comfortable and durable
- Flat bottoms are designed to enhance your best latte art
Last on our list of latte art mugs is this revolution mod latte cup, which comes in a variety of sizes but unfortunately only available in white.
They are made from durable porcelain and also comes with a matching saucer, the cup does have a flat bottom that is designed to enhance your best latte art.
Frequently Asked Latte Art Questions
Now that you no what the best cappuccino cups or the best latte cups for latte art is you probably have some questions that are typical to what most people have in their mind.
Like what is latte art for example! We have gone through a lot of the internet and compiled some frequently asked questions below, so that it is easy for you to know more about latte mugs.
After all when we first began loving latte art, we had no idea you needed a special large latte mug to develop patterns or designs.
What is latte art?
According to wiki, latte art is all about pouring a microfoam into a shot of espresso to develop some sort of a pattern or design.
Our favorite way of saying this is, pouring steamed milk into your shot of espresso to make flowers, hearts or even tear drops.
Latte art can be incredibly simple or extremely complex (only for the most addicted of coarse), but more importantly it is enjoyable to create designs on your favorite drink.
What size should a latte cup be?
Latte cups are typically smaller in height and slightly wider in diameter, coming in large cups that hold about 5-11 ounces of espresso and milk.
The reason they need to be large in volume is to do with pouring the right amount of milk and microfilm to create a good tasting latte and also finish it off with a pattern or design of your choice.
If the cups are too small, you’ll often end up pouring too much milk and not having enough volume in your cup leftover to create your latte art design.
What kind of milk is best for latte art?
Whole milk that is high in fat will often lead to having the best latte art designs. This is because the milk won’t get too thinned when heated and also a bit of froth added to it.
Typically the froth is added by your milk steamer at the end of the steaming process and if you use alternative milks it can often come up way too hot or with a bubble foam on top (instead of a microfilm).
How do you make the best latte art?
When we started learning how to prepare latte art just like you we used resources available to use on youtube. So we’ve left you a good instructional video on how to make the best latte art below.
How to choose the perfect latte cups
When it comes to getting the perfect latte cups for your coffee art, there are certain things you need to consider.
A lot of people think it is a straightforward thing to do, like walk into Walmart and buy coffee mugs right?! Wrong, if you buy any plain old coffee mugs you most likely won’t hit that sweet spot when it comes to making latte art.
So below are our three most highly recommended tips to getting the best latte mugs so that you can create beautiful latte art all the time.
Consider the perfect sized cup!
It’s all about the cup size! When looking for latte cups, you want to ensure that the cup is a wide latte mug.
Wider mugs tend to be more round in shape, and can hold more volume of milk which will be perfect for making great latte art.
Also these large latte mugs are typically what baristas use, so you’ll probably notice that the next time you head to your local coffee shop.
The material of the cup matters!
Glass cups or mugs are typically not used for making latte art, most of them are small and only serve espresso shots well.
That’s why when we do our latte art we always use porcelain or ceramic latte cups which is typically the best material for it.When you use these types of mugs it will tend to give you a good feeling, almost like you prepared your latte in your own coffee shop with your own accessories.
Shape leads to consistent results.
A mug with a wider lip at the top allows you to form the perfect pattern or art work when you are topping off your espresso with the microfoam milk layer.
If you use a smaller mug size you won’t be able to achieve consistent latte art results all the time, which can leave you feeling frustrated.
So there you have it, the best cups for latte art that will help you improve your cup of coffee art any day.
Our top pick is the Coffee zone cappuccino barista latte art cups with saucer, coming in a nice manageable cup size of 8.5 oz and made from high quality porcelain.
These cups will help you deliver good latte art, while not compromising on the full body of the espresso beans you are using.
If you think we missed something in this article that would help our readers, be sure to reach out to us so that we can improve our article.
Until next time, happy caffeinating.