Brewing great tasting coffee at home generally requires you to ensure that you have the right distribution of coffee grounds to water. Oftentimes you take a punt in the dark to get this absolutely right, but it can lead to some horrible tasting coffee overall.
If you’re like us and you want to improve your brew game and measure your coffee grounds more accurately then you’ll need the best coffee scale for espresso to do this.
A coffee scale will typically help you achieve a more accurate measure of getting the right ratio and making the perfect brew. Not only that, but some scales double as a general kitchen scale that can be used to measure the weight of ingredients that go into your favorite dishes.Let’s get onto the best coffee scale to use for measuring coffee!
5 Best Coffee Scale!
What is the best coffee scale?
Editors Rating :
Brewing espresso, pour over coffee and french press has become a lot more easier with the coffee gator best coffee scale.
Check out this amazing coffee scale by clicking the button below or reading our full review.
#1 - Coffee Gator Digital Weighing Coffee Scale
- BARISTA TOOLS: Expertly brewed espresso demands precisely measured proportions. With our multi-purpose food scale, you can master the alchemy of perfect percolation.
- VERSATILE: This espresso scale doesn’t just measure mere grounds, it's a versatile barista accessory that can weigh ounces, grams, and volume (in fluid ounces and liters)!
- DURABLE: These food scales for kitchen use have the stamina of a triple shot macchiato! With a durable non-slip rubber mat and feet, and a spacious 5” x 5” platform, this scale won’t be sleeping on the job.
- CONVENIENT: Not only are our digital kitchen scales with timer portable (no pesky cables), this battery-powered kitchen must-have also boasts a large LCD display to light up your culinary endeavors.
Coffee gator digital coffee scale, with built in timer is perfect for weighing coffee beans or grounds to 0.003 ounces of precision. The scale doubles as something that can be used for your baking or cooking needs.
If you're serious about craft coffee such as pour over or chemex and want a bit of precision then this is the best coffee scale for weighing grounds and beans. It's also perfect for espresso, which makes the coffee gator coffee scale with timer the one to go to.
What we liked about this was the very large display, the accuracy and how brilliantly easy it was to operate.
A common dislike that we had amongst all the scales reviewed here, including the coffee gator, was that there was some bounce in the reading. But to be honest the bounce was so insignificant that it won't effect the outcome of the quality of any brewed drink.
Related Article: Best Espresso Machine Under $200
#2 - Hario V60 Drip Coffee Scale and Timer
- Hario V60 drip coffee scale measures in 0. 1 gram increments for highest precision
- Includes a drip timer for perfect bloom times and pours each time
- Integrated timer for complete and total control of your coffee brewing process
- Auto power off in 5 minutes (not activated when the timer is on)
The Hario V60 was another good coffee weighing scale that we thought deserved to make this list. It is a very accurate and easy to use scale that runs off 2x AAA batteries.
It has a digital display with an integrated timer, which allows you to get total control over the coffee brewing process.
What we liked about this digital coffee scale was how sleek and compact it was and it also gave a fairly quick readout.
Our biggest dislike compared to the coffee gator scale was that it had a really small display, it costs more (almost 3x as much) and there were hardly any physical buttons.
#3 - Digital Food and Coffee Scale
- A Smart Choice: Greater Goods classic kitchen scale is the perfect introduction to measuring your food for better cooking and portioning at home. A scale that does everything you need, does it well, with a little extra, looks great while it’s doing, and is priced right.
- Fresh Features: All of the qualities you need and expect in a kitchen scale: readings down to the gram, an eleven pound capacity, four units of measurement, and an easy-to-clean, smooth surface.
- Simple and Stylish: Never let a kitchen accessory cramp your style again. The simplistic, modern design of this scale fits right in with the decor of even the trendiest space. Looks good, and if you need to, it’s compact and easy to store.
- True Support: Our friendly team in St. Louis are industry experts at-the-ready to assist you with any questions that might arise about your kitchen scale. We take pride in our work and want you to have a great experience from beginning to end.
Here we have a digital coffee scale perfect for espresso, pour over coffee or chemex and it comes at a highly affordable price tag. This was classified as a food scale, but it can also be used for weighing coffee seeing as it had a measurement precision of 0.1 ounces.
What we liked about this scale was that it was a relatively small scale, making it easy to store and clean.
Although quite cheap, the quality of this scale was sub par and ours didn't last long (kept showing no battery, after trying new batteries repeatedly)
#4 - KitchenTour Coffee Scale with Timer
- #PRECISE MEASUREMENT & WIDE RANGE# - KitchenTour EK6002 defines the latest in precision weighing technology with a weight capacity from 0.3g - 3000g to help you measure and get an exceptional cup of coffee with refined accuracy.
- #MULTI-FUNCTIONAL COFFEE & FOOD SCALE# - The electronic coffee scale has a built-in timer to cook and time your coffee to ensure the consistency of each cup of coffee. With Tare Function, You can add different ingredients or coffee powder and water in the same container to make your cooking more accurate and simple. It also features adjustable auto-off time function. (see instruction manual below for adjustment tutorial) (default 120 seconds)
- #SUPERIOR QUALITY MATERIAL# - This Kitchen Drip Coffee Scale is crafted to be sturdy, accurate, safe, and user-friendly. Constructed with a high-quality ABS platform and frame, this digital kitchen scale is durable and easy to clean and maintenance. A waterproof Silicone Non-Slip pad included.
- #UNIT CONVERSION# - KitchenTour High Precision Coffee Drip Scale supports switching of different units of g,oz, ml, which can weigh solids, liquids, powders. The touch activated keys also make for an elegant and clean design. With the back-lit reverse LCD display, weighing is quick and easy.
The KitchenTour digital coffee scale with timer provides you with high precision for espresso, pour over drip coffee and comes with a neat back light on the LCD.
The large display makes it easy to read and use, and this scale is capable of measuring grams, ounces and ml which is good.
We liked that it was a nice coffee scale that doubled as a use for baking, it produced an accurate measure and overall was quite durable.
Our biggest dislike was that the tare button was hard to push, which can be an issue for an elderly person using this scale.
#5 - Brewista Smart Espresso Scale
- Silicone protective pad - helps protect scale from water spillage and surface scratches
- Easy to read backlit LCD display and rechargeable battery (do not over charge the battery)
- Large protective cover that can also be used as a weighing tray
- Weighing capacity - 2000g with an accuracy - 0.1g
This is the perfect brewing scale for espresso and can be used as a kitchen scale as well. With a accurate measure of 0.1g all the way up to 2000g, you can't go wrong with this dual purpose brewista smart coffee scale.
If looking for a barista scale that can make high quality espresso shots, then this is your best bet.
What we liked about this coffee weighing scale was great for weighing espresso grinds and pours. It also automatically tares the scale, which can be beneficial to some. This scale can measure from 0.1g all the way to 2000g, which is incredibly accurate as well.
Our biggest dislike was the cost of it! It's bar on top of the other scales (which are just as equally useful and good), but it also has some design flaws. For example if you're running a larger espresso machine built for commercial purposes, this scale will need to sit sideways so that it can fit, which can be a pain for a busy coffee shop.
Recommended Article: The Best Light Roast Coffee for any Occasion
Features of a Decent Coffee Scale!
When you’re after a good brewing scale to make decent coffee, you need to consider some important aspects in a scale that would be good for weighing coffee.
If you think an ordinary scale would be good at weighing coffee, you are easily mistaken as coffee grounds or beans are really light.
That means you need the best scale for coffee that is capable of measuring to at least a 10th of a gram.
With such precision and accuracy you’ll be able to get a decent brew each and every time.
So with that aside let's discuss a few aspects for features in a decent coffee scale.
When it comes to size you need to be sure that your espresso scale will be small enough so that it doesn’t take up to much storage space.
A lot of people tend to also get the best scale for coffee based on their preferred brewing method. So if you’re brewing espresso, or pour over coffee you’ll need to keep this in mind.
Related Article : Whats the Point of Espresso
Measuring With Acute Precision
Not every digital coffee scale has the best precision for measuring coffee, so it’s important that you get the best coffee scale that can measure up to 0.1 of a pound or gram.
Weighing coffee to this level of precision is crucial because it’ll get your brew actually tasting quite good.
One of the important things of the best coffee scale for espresso is that you should be mindful of the battery capacity of scales.
Most digital coffee scales rely on a couple of small batteries, which are often very easy to replace. This will tend to last your scale a couple to a few months, since the scale is not something that is used every second of the day.
The tare function is a very useful feature for any digital coffee scale and it allows you to reset the weight of the scale to get a more accurate measure.
For example if you turn on a scale, and put a bowl on it to capture coffee grounds from a grinder when you put the bowl on the scale it will begin to measure the weight of it.
To reset the weight, you simply push the tare button and the weight resets to 0 lbs or grams, now you can grind the desired weight of coffee for your espresso.
Related Article: Best Pumpkin Spice Coffee to Try This Fall
What is coffee scale?
A coffee scale is typically a digital scale that can measure coffee with high precision and accuracy compared to a food scale! Typically, they can measure to to a 10th of a decimal, which is really accurate.
It allows you the precision when weighing coffee and can be really helpful when it comes to making the best cup of joe.
Most barista’s use a digital coffee scale to help with accurately weighing coffee so that they can brew the best pour over coffee that you can imagine.
Recommended Article: What is an Iced Americano Really?
Do I need a coffee scale?
When you have an espresso machine, pour over coffee maker or chemex drip coffee maker then having a scale will allow you to make more accurately.
Without a coffee scale measuring coffee becomes a tedious task, sure you can gauge it with a teaspoon but often it does not give you the overall weight.
This small difference is what can lead to having the best coffee or a slightly ok one.
Can you use a food scale for coffee?
Yes you can use a food scale for coffee, but again it won’t measure as accurate as you’d like! Unless your food scale is one used to measure the weight of spice and not vegetables.
If it can measure the accuracy of spices to a 10th of a pound or gram, you typically can use this in weighing coffee.Because if you think about it, spice grounds and coffee grounds generally will weigh about the same, so it’ll be generally acceptable to use a spice food scale for weighing coffee.
So there you have it the best coffee scale for espresso has to be the coffee gator digital coffee scale. This digital coffee scale is perfect for espresso and makes the best pour over coffee or chemex coffee.
If you loved this article about what is the best coffee scale for weighing coffee, then check out our other reviews about espresso machines, pour over coffee makers and more.
Until next time, happy caffeinating.