There are a variety of espresso machines on the market with all the bits and bobs, bells and whistles but is that really what you need? Today, we’ll be discussing the best espresso machine under 200 and if you’re on a budget then this article is definitely for you.
Oftentimes you walk into an electronics store and you’re blasted with too many options for an espresso machine. This leads you to question whether you need a top of the line espresso machine or if you’ll be satisfied with a lower end model.
You definitely need to consider the purpose of this machine, whether it's for home or a small office before you make a decision. But oftentimes, espresso machines for under $200 can often work just as well as ones over $500!
These machines on the lower end typically don’t have fancy touch displays and other bells and whistles, so if you’re on a tight budget and want some quality espresso then you need to consider the top 6 espresso machines for under $200 in our list below.Take a look below at the pros, cons and our personal review on the best espresso machine under $200!
The Best Espresso Machine Under 200!
- Mr. Coffee Espresso and Cappuccino Maker | Café Barista , Silver
- De'Longhi 15 bar Pump Espresso Maker, EC702, Metal
- De ' Longhi Espresso Machine ECP3220
- Nespresso Essenza Mini Original Espresso Machine by Breville, Piano Black
- DeLonghi EC155 15 Bar Espresso and Cappuccino Machine
- Nespresso Vertuo Espresso Machine
Top Pick: What is the Best Espresso Machine Under 200?
Editors Rating :
Looking for a decent all rounder coffee maker for under 200? The Mr Coffee Cafe Barista is your best bet.
It makes espresso, cappuccino and lattes! Catering to most staff members needs.
Check out the price below and secure yours for under 200.
Mr Coffee has brought you a popular espresso, cappuccino and latte maker that is one of the best espresso machines for under $200. This Amazon's Choice product is sure to not disappoint!
Read our brief Mr Coffee Cafe barista review below where we break down the features, what we liked and don't like about this cool machine.
#1 - Mr Coffee ‘Cafe Barista
- Semi automatic 3 in 1 espresso maker, cappuccino maker, and latte maker
- 15 Bar Pump System Brews Rich Tasting Espresso Coffee
- Trouble Free Automatic Milk Frother Removes the Guesswork. Do not wash the water reservoir in the dishwasher
- One touch control panel for drink selections
Mr Coffee has developed this amazing semi automatic 3 in 1 espresso maker, cappuccino and latte maker that is sure to please the office masses! With a selection of various drinks you're sure to be the king (or queen) of the office when you surprise your staff with this machine.
Packed with a 15 bar pump system the machine is capable of brewing only the most richest tasting espresso coffee you're taste buds have ever encounted.
It even has a built in automatic milk frother which removes any guesswork from brewing up the perfect latte. Standing tall at 12.6" x 8.9" wide and 11.2" deep, this will fit perfect in any office kitchen.
What we liked about this coffee maker was that it is probably the most affordable semi automatic coffee maker on the market, that delivers top notch espresso drinks.
Our dislikes was that we like to have full autonomy for being able to control the froth of the milk when it comes to making milk based drinks. Besides that it doesn't accommodate taller cups, which can be a shame if you're wanting an large Americano drink.
This feature is more standard across higher priced machines, so that is something to think about if you have some latte art experts in the office.
#2 - De’Longhi 15-Bar-Pump Espresso Machine
- Pump driven and 15 bars
- Automatically self-primes; Water level indicator: Yes
- Use pods or ground coffee with the convenient patented filter holder. On/Off switch- Yes
- Craft cappuccinos or lattes with the patented easy to use frothier
A best latte machine for any home has to be the De'Longhi EC702 Semi-Automatic Espresso makers. It automatically self-primes and also includes a water indicator level, meaning you'll know what it is time to refill the 44 ounces water resovior tank.
It comes with a descaler, a presurised portafilter with a double and single filter basket. The machine isn't that tall and also very light, meaning it's perfect for the counter top.
The water resovior has a float, which acts as a visual aid, to help you see when the water tank is running low. Helping you reduce the risk of running the boiler dry and damaging it.
By having a pressurised portafilter you have the option of using pre-ground coffee, a pod or using freshly grinded coffee beans. However it does not come with a bean grinder.
The machine does have a built in tamper, but unlike some of the Breville machines, the tamper cannot be removed making it really hard to level off and tamp your ground coffee.
It's a great machine to have and is definitely a step up from the Dolce Gusto Genio 2 model.
#3 - De’Longhi ECP3220R
- Every cup to your liking: 15-bar professional pressure assures quality results every time, and adjustable controls allow you to make modifications for your personal taste preferences.
- Brew like a Pro: whatever your preference – single or double Espresso, cappuccino or latte – the machine brews authentic barista-quality beverages just like you enjoy at your favorite coffeehouse.
- Your foam, your way: a manual frothier mixes steam and milk to create a rich, creamy froth for evenly textured drinks – just the way you like them.
- One Espresso shot or two: The three-in-one filter holder, included with the unit, has a holder for one Espresso shot, a holder for two shots, and one for an easy-serve Espresso Pod – whatever your preference.
Related Article: The Best Pour Over Automatic Coffee Makers
Don't be fooled by thinking that the de'longhi bar pump espresso machine only makes espressso shots! The drip tray can slide right out, and easily accomodate larger cups, making it perfect for lattes.
It has a built in water tank, that can be removed and refilled with convenience. The water tank is a large 37 ounce volume tank, making it perfect for making multiple drinks.
What makes this a really good machine compared to some of the others in the list, is that it comes with two coffee filters, one for a single shot of espresso or double shot of espresso. These are easily stored in the machine, making it easy to access for later.
#4 - Nespresso Essenza Mini Espresso Machine
- SIZE: Discover the newest and smallest ever single serve espresso maker from Nespresso by Breville, without compromising on exceptional coffee and espresso moments. This compact espresso machine is effortlessly portable and features a sleek design and modern smooth lines, allowing it to fit into anywhere saving valuable counterspace.
- PERFORMANCE: Create a barista-style coffee or espresso drinks every time, thanks to our one-touch operation and extraction system which delivers up to 19 bars of pressure.
- EFFICIENT COFFEE MACHINE: In just one touch, the water reaches the ideal serving temperature in 25 seconds and an energy saving mode automatically switches off the machine after 9 minutes.
- VERSATILITY: Adjustable cup size with two programmable Espresso (1.35 oz) and Lungo (5 oz) buttons making Essenza Mini a great coffee maker for all you single serve coffee needs. Pour over ice to create your favorite iced coffee drinks.
If you're looking for an Nespresso single serve pod coffee maker that has performance behind it, then you need to try the Nespresso Essenza mini coffee machine.
This coffee maker has two programmable sized cups, brewing espresso or lungo coffee which makes a perfect single serve.
One of the few coffee machines that are using an extraction system which delivers 19 bars of pressure that comes at an affordable price. So if you're looking for seriously good espresso, this is for you!
What we liked about this coffee maker was that it was small and compact, and it literally didn't take much counter space up! This is a real bonus for some where you don't have much space at all.
Our biggest dislike about this machine was not being able to accommodate larger sized cups, which is a bit of a shame because it is a really good coffee maker.
#5 - Delongi EC155 Espresso Machine
- EVERY CUP TO YOUR LIKING: 15-bar professional pressure assures quality results every time, and adjustable controls allow you to make modifications for your personal taste preferences.
- BREW LIKE A PRO: Whatever your preference – single or double espresso, cappuccino or latte – the machine brews authentic barista-quality beverages just like you enjoy at your favorite coffeehouse.
- YOUR FOAM, YOUR WAY: A manual frother mixes steam and milk to create a rich, creamy froth for evenly textured drinks – just the way you like them.
- ONE ESPRESSO SHOT OR TWO? The three-in-one filter holder, included with the unit, has filters for one espresso shot, two shots, and one for an easy-serve espresso pod – whatever your preference.
The best delonghi espresso machine for under 200 has to be the De'Longhi EC155 is one of the most inexpensive machines that will make decent espressso quite easily! Unlike a Keurig or Nespresso machine, where you put a pod in and hit "go", you have to ensure you have the right settings.
A water tank is neatly situated within the rear of the machine and holds about 33 ounces of water and is removable for easy cleaning.
It's definitely a good espresso machine that is well worth it for the cost, but it does lack a built in grinder. So that means you'll either have to get a decent burr grinder or just purchase ground coffee.
Besides making espresso, it can also make cappuccino and lattes as it does have a built in steam wand, for steaming milk.
I really like this machine, it honestly provides a lot of oomph and can make seriously good espresso after getting the hang of it. Not only that I think it is affordable for most families or individuals wanting to experience the espresso world.
#6 - Nespresso VertuoPlus Single Serve Pod
- AUTOMATIC COFFEE/ESPRESSO MACHINE: Create barista grade brewed single serve coffee or espresso cups at the touch of a single button. Designed for use with Nespresso Vertuo capsules only
- VERSATILE COFFEE MAKER: Brew 5 different cup sizes at the touch of a button - Espresso (1.35 oz), Double Espresso (2.7 oz), Gran Lungo (5 oz), Coffee (7.7 oz) and Alto (14 oz). Pour over ice to create your favorite iced coffee and latte drinks
- SMART COFFEE MAKER: Brew the perfect single serve coffee or espresso drink time after time, thanks to Nespresso's Centrifusion technology using barcodes to deliver the best in-cup results including the perfect crema for large coffee cup sizes
- FEATURES: Includes 40 oz. water removable water tank for no hassle refilling. Fast heat up time of only 15 seconds. Each machine includes a complimentary starter set of Nespresso capsules (capsule assortment may vary from picture)
The next best single-serve pod coffee maker under 200 has to be this Nespresso VertuoPlus coffee and espresso maker. The Vertuoplus actually uses completely different pod shapes that have been innovated to deliver some decent quality coffee or espresso.
Simple to use, simply pop the pod into it and use the one touch brewing system to start making your coffee. This machine can actually brew several different sized single serve coffee cup sizes. Brew from espresso, double espresso, gran lungo, coffee or even alto sized drinks.
What we liked about this machine was the large holding capacity of the water cylinder which was a generous 40 fluid ounces. Not only that it was able to be rotated to a position that suits your counter space! Now that's impressive.
A large dislike from this model was that you had to use specially designed vertuo capsules and you couldn't intermix it with ordinary Nespresso capsules. If there was some sort of pod converter to be able to allow you to use ordinary capsules as well then we most likely wouldn't have anything bad to say!
Espresso under $200 Buyers Guide
So what kind of espresso machine can you get for under $200? Well quite a bit, some that can even make lattes, cappuccinos, and just plain old black coffee.
But there are a few key things you need to consider when purchasing any espresso machine, whether it is a top end one or one that's within our budget.
So sit back, grab a cup of joe and have a read of our small buyers guide of important things to consider when getting an espresso machine for the home, office or even your college dorm room!
Let’s take a look at them below.
Related Article: Best Single Serve Pod Coffee Makers
Ease of Use
When you’re looking to buy an espresso machine, the most important aspect to consider is how easy it is to use!
The worst thing you can encounter after unwrapping your espresso machine from the store is that it is very hard to use, or that it takes too long to use.
All espresso machines come with some sort of instruction on how to set up the espresso machine, how to descale it so that you remove hard water build up or just general maintenance.
The other thing to consider is if the water tank is removable or not, when the water tank can be removed refilling it is very simple and easy. When you can’t remove it you’ll need a jug or something that can hold water so that you can transfer it to the machine.
The risk with that is you tend to spill water in places of the machine that you don’t want to, which can do damage to the internal parts of the machine.
So you need to consider how easy the espresso machine you’ll get is to use.
This is often overlooked when getting an espresso machine, by capacity we mean how much water the water tank can hold before it needs to be filled up again.
When you have a water tank that is small you’ll often find yourself refilling it more often than you want, which can become a bit tedious.
We often recommend getting an espresso machine that has a large holding capacity so that you can make at least 4-8 standard drinks before needing to refill the water.
Related Article: Travel Coffee Makers for the Outdoor Enthusiast
Types of Espresso Machines for Under $200
There are so many different espresso machines on the market and I’ll try to cover some of the most important ones that are in the list above.
So let's break down the different types of espresso machines that you’ll most likely come across in your life (seriously there’s far more than this).
semi-automatic espresso machines
Semi automatic espresso machines often have customization behind them, which is great if you want to make various types of drinks.
Most have built in bean hoppers, that can hold your beans but does require you to have a grind setting for making specific drinks.
There is a little bit of experience needed, but most machines come with instructions to help you set them up.
super automatic espresso machines
The tip of the iceberg has to be super automatic espresso machines, which can grind coffee beans for you.
All of these machines are electric, have push buttons to make drinks and the only real part is some of them still need you to froth the milk.
In a business environment, I’ve seen ones that have a milk fridge and the milk actually gets frothed and poured into the drink. Making it super easy to have coffee.
Some of these machines can be really expensive in my opinion. So if you have the budget, then go for it.
Related Article: Great Coffee Makers for Every College Student
pod espresso machines
There are a lot of pod espresso machines, and I’m sure you’ve heard of some of them like Nespresso or Delonghi.
The pods come in a variety of types, small black or long, flavored or not and these pods get inserted into the machine.
All machines have their own mechanisms to brewing the coffee, which is rather technical, but all you need to know is they have their own water filters.
Simply pop the pod into the machine, hit the brew button and out comes your single or double shot of espresso.
What I like about these machines is that they are really simple to use, and often leads to a great upgrade from traditional black coffee.
Good for those who don’t want to think about coffee and also, is often more cleaner than semi-automatic coffee machines.
Frequently Asked Questions about Espresso Machines Under $200!
Now that we have all the important aspects aside about espresso machines and also covered what the best espresso machine under 200 is, we need to cover some frequently asked questions.
After all you’ll probably have some typical questions that a lot of people seem to ask before they make an investment and purchase an espresso machine, whether it is there first, replacement or just getting another one for the office.
What is the quality like from an espresso machine under $200?
When you make espresso from any machine, you need to understand that the quality really comes from the beans you use.
When you use really high quality beans, that come from some of the best regions on the planet you’ll experience amazing tasting notes and aroma once you’ve brewed your espresso.
So, one of the major components of the quality of espresso is basically the beans you use. The other part of the equation is how well the grind is.
After all, most espresso machines have the same parts in them to generate the pressure needed for the extraction process.
When you use a good burr grinder, that is capable of grinding up fresh high quality coffee beans you’re often left with an amazing tasting espresso.So, espresso machines under $200 can really produce some high quality and aromatic smelling and tasting espresso that a top end machine can produce as well.
Can you get good espresso from an espresso machine under $200?
As we mentioned before, you will need the best coffee beans that are often filled with tasting notes, and that fresh aromatic scent that comes from the top regions of the world.
The other thing you need is the grounds to be fine enough so that the extraction process (water being pushed through the grounds) is accurate enough to produce a really good espresso.
A good tasting espresso is one where you can actually taste the quality of the coffee beans and often is not as bitter as black coffee.
So, you can actually get really good espresso from machines under $200 when you have these things in check.
Related Article: Mouthwatering French Press Coffee
How many bars of espresso is good?
Typically an espresso machine that is capable of delivering 9 bars of pressure, which is considered optimal, leads to the best tasting espresso.
This is considered the good spot when your machine is a pump driven machine where water is forced through the coffee grounds.
Related Article: Incredible Latte Machines You Need to Have
Is 15 Bar enough for espresso?
9 Bars of pressure is typically more than enough for pump driven machines, and also considered the standard in producing a good tasting espresso.
However, you can often find machines that claim to deliver up to 15 bars of espresso but it does not necessarily increase the quality of the espresso.
So you don’t necessarily need a 15 bar pressure espresso machine to get good tasting espresso.
Related Article: Best Pumpkin Spice Coffee To Try This Fall
So there you have it, we’ve covered the best espresso machine for under 200 and a few others that will be perfect for your home or office.
In summary, our top pick has to be the Mr. Coffee Cafe Barista which is a top espresso machine for just about anywhere.
It is a 3-in-1 equipped with all the parts to make espresso, cappuccino and even lattes! This is perfect for anyone who wants options when it comes to making caffeinated drinks.