So you just purchased a nice affordable espresso machine you get home, unpack it, ready to make one of the best latte’s you could ever imagine. However there’s a slight problem.
The espresso machine is just an espresso machine, and you’re now thinking you’ll have to spend a few hundred more to get a decent espresso machine that can make lattes, cappuccinos and more.
Stop! All you need to know is that a latte is a caffeinated drink with a bit of steamed or frothed milk added to it.So all you need is a decent milk steamer to make the drink you love so much.
In this article, we’ll be covering off some of the best milk frothers for lattes that you can use if your espresso machine or coffee maker doesn’t have a built in milk steamer.
We’ll start by covering the top 6 latte frothers we have reviewed, give you the pros and cons and then finish off with some frequently asked questions you may have. Not just that we’ll also brief you on the ultimate milk foamer for lattes buyer’s guide.
So, with that aside let's dive straight into this.
What are The Best Milk Frothers for Lattes
- Bodum Bistro Electric Milk Frother, 10 Ounce, Black
- Zulay Kitchen Executive Series Milk Frother Wand - Upgraded & Improved Stand - Ideal Coffee Gift - Coffee Frother Handheld Foam Maker For Lattes - Electric Milk Frother Handheld For Cappuccino
- Breville BMF600XL Milk Cafe Milk Frother
- Nespresso Aeroccino4 Milk Frother, One Size, Chrome
- Milk Frother Handheld Battery Operated, Coffee Frother for Milk Foaming, Latte/Cappuccino Frother Mini Frappe Mixer for Drink, Hot Chocolate, Stainless Steel Silver
The Top Best Milk Frother Is...
Editors Rating :
Looking for a barista grade latte mixer for your milk, but for a bargain? Look no further, the Bodum electric milk frother is for you and your lattes.
Check out the price by clicking the button below or read our full review below.
Recommended Article: Best Home Coffee Bar Accessories
#1 - Bodum 11870-01 Bistro Electric Milk Frother
- Milk frother Bistro milk frother was designed to make you a professional Barista without leaving your doorstep
- Compact small electric milk frother has convenient cord storage in the removable base perfect if you plan to leave out on the kitchen counter
- Sleek design auto shut off when finished Transparent lid allows the frothing to be observed
- Servings Bistro milk frother heats 1 cup (300 ml) of milk at a time Perfect for serving yourself or your family
If you have an espresso machine or just are use to ordinary black coffee, but want to add a bit of high quality frothed milk to your next serve of delicious coffee! Then you need to get the Bodum bistro electric milk frother to do the job.
A popular choice among some who just want a decent milk frother cup and it doubles as a electric milk warmer without breaking the bank, this high quality frother machine is very sort after.
We liked that it was small in size, could be removed from the based and had a generous capacity of 1 full cup.
Our biggest dislike was that when we cleaned it with an abrasive cleaner, it basically left scratch marks behind. With that aside, it was still pretty good value.
#2 - Zulay Handheld Frother for Lattes
- EXECUTIVE SERIES PREMIUM GIFT MILK FROTHER: The Executive Series Milk Frother with our New and Improved Ultra Stand is the perfect gift for any occasion. Brighten up anyones' day with a perfect cup of Morning Coffee topped with Delectable and Velvety Froth with the Zulay Kitchen Executive Series Milk Frother with Ultra Stand. Easy to Use and Powerful, it creates creamy froth in seconds. Get that coffee shop experience in the comfort of your home by adding a special touch to your coffee.
- MAKE RICH, CREAMY FROTH IN SECONDS: We Coffee Lovers are serious when it comes to our Coffee. The Zulay Kitchen Executive Series Milk Frother gives you that professional finishing touch to your Latte, Cappuccino or Macchiato. Make delicious creamy froth for your drinks at home without a trip to your local Coffee Shop with your very own Executive Frother. The benefits of having your own electric whisk mixer are endless. You can make the very best latte in the comfort of your own home.
- EASY TO USE, CLEAN AND STORE: Our New and Improved Ultra Stand Frother easily produces Creamy, Foamy Goodness in seconds. Cleanup for this frother is even faster and easier. To Clean just put the whisk in hot running water and briefly turn it on – instantly Clean! When stored on a counter or table it sits nicely next to other coffee accessories. Our Powerful and Durable Hand-Held Milk Frother is powered by two AA batteries with a compact electric design that easily fits in a drawer.
- MATCHA MIXING, COFFEE & MORE: The Zulay Executive Series Milk Frother works better than a manual Matcha Whisk for making Matcha Tea and works far better than a fork or whisk for Coffee. It works perfectly for mixing Nutritious Protein Powder Drinks with NO additional container, blender or bottle shaker to wash. Use our Electric Mixer for your Whisking and Mixing needs. Give healthy shakes and smoothies a kick by adding powder or egg nog flavor and mixing.
Our next best cordless milk frother for lattes has to be this hand held electric milk frother by Zulay. This crafty little frother allows you to make a delicious foamy creamer for your latte, cappucino or hot choclate in seconds.
We liked that it came with a cool stand, that made it easy to store! Not only that it was quite easy to clean, simply rinse some water over the end and it's cleaned.
A good benefit with these hand held frothers is that you can make them a rechargeable milk frother by using rechargeable batteries. It is one of the best handheld milk frothers on the market!
Our biggest dislike was that it felt cheap, and we were right based on several reviews alot claimed that theirs didn't last as long as it should. We issue this with a buyer beware statement!
#3 - Breville BMF600XL Milk Cafe Frother
- Latte frothing disc for smooth and silky milk. Please review the Product Videos under the images before use.
- Cappucino frothing disk for thick and creamy froth
- Hot chocolate maker, by simply adding drinking chocolate powder, flakes or syrup to the warming milk
- On-board disc storage
Another good electric milk warmer and frother is this milk frother with stand. So, If you're looking for something with a bit more bits and bobs compared to our previous two, then you should look at the Breville BMF600XL Milk Cafe Frother!
This electric milk steamer is what we call the beast of the milk frother world but it does come with a higher price tag compared to some others, but don't let that through you off until you see what it can do.
Besides making the perfect frothed milk in it's stainless steel milk steamer cup with its unique frothing disk located at the base, it actually also has a dial that lets you heat the milk to a certain temperature.
Our biggest like is that you can adjust the temperature of the milk, which a lot of the entry frothers actually lack. It also leads to consistent results every time, and also can make cold frothed milk!
Our only dislike is the price! Although being great, it actually costs almost the same as some entry level espresso machines with a built in milk frother.
#4 Nespresso Aeroccino4 Milk Frother
- 2 types of hot foam, hot milk and cold foam, the Aeroccino4 offers you a wide choice to prepare even more coffee and milk recipes at home in a simple way
- Dishwasher proof (Max 70° C)
- One single whisk for all preparations
Looking for a great professional milk frother with stand made from high quality materials? The Nespresso Aeroccino4 is just what you're looking for.
This electric milk heater and frother is ne our best milk frothers for lattes and coming in a large capacity, this milk frothing machine can make hot foam, hot milk or cold foam. Best yet the cylinder can go into the dishwasher.
Our biggest dislike was that it led to horrible results when using other types of milk such as soy or coconut, compared to using whole milk
#5 - Basecent Handheld Battery Operated Milk Frother
- [THE MOST PROFESSIONAL MILK FROTHER] Basecent battery operated milk frother create rich creamy froth just like the professional baristas. Whether you invite family or friends, froth foam for your coffee, or send as a gift to your friends, we guarantee our milk frother will be the best maker of thick, creamy and delicious froth.
- [THE FASTEST HANDHELD COFFEE FOAMER] This mini battery operated frother is portable for traveling, home and office. With the double steel whisk and the super motor (21,000 rpm), this coffee frother machine can froth foam in as fast as 12 seconds. Besides, it also can be used as stirrer for hot or cold drinks as well as frappe and as small blender for cocktail, milkshake, hot chocolate, soup, or even as eggs whisker beater.
- [THE MOST DURABLE AND SAFEST COFFEE FROTHER] The whole body of Basecent battery operated handheld coffee frother is made of food grade) stainless steel, as well as the double steel whisk. The stainless steel design will also keep the coffee frother clean.
- [THE BEST DESIGN FOR USING AND WASHING] By pressing one big button on the top of the milk foamer, it will start to make milk foam right away. The detachable design, will help you wash the whisk faster and easier than other designs. After washing, simply put it upside down and stand on the table, as the button is designed to be big and flat in order to support the standing.
A good handheld battery operated cordless milk frother for latte's has to be this one from Basecent.
If you're after a simple handheld one, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg then this is for you!
We liked that this handheld frother had a detachable design compared to Zulay, which meant you could actually remove the whisk end and safely wash it.
For the price, we didn't have much things we didn't like besides that it was handheld (we prefer using electric capsule milk frothing machines)
#6 - Miroco Electric Milk Frother and Steamer
The last best milk frother we is this Miroco Electric milk frother and steamer.
We liked that it was easy to use and clean, and a lot of other people had some good things to say about it! Besides that it led to consistent results each time we used it.
Our biggest dislike was that we wished we could control the temperature of the milk, but this is technology that comes at a price (see the Breville one we mentioned before).
Frequently Asked Milk Frother Questions
Do you froth milk before or after coffee?
When you are wanting to make a latte or cappuccino or even some seriously good latte art, the milk is typically frothed after you have prepared the espresso shot.
This is so that the milk is freshly steamed and frothed and at its optimal temperature ready to be added to your shot of espresso to make a latte.
Frothing the milk before preparing the espresso, is not normal but it can be done. If you do approach making your latte or cappuccino this way, you have to keep in mind that your latte will not be made the best way.
This is because, once the milk has been frothed and it has been sitting for a while the temperature reduces and also a thicker layer of film begins to develop.
The thicker milk film is a result of the residual aeration process still occurring after you have frothed the milk. You could simply get rid of this by using a spoon to scoop excess froth off the surface, but generally speaking it often leads to a poor latte consistency.
Recommended Article: Does Espresso Have Milk?
What's the point of frothing milk?
In order to make a really good latte, you must have two main ingredients to do this. One being a shot of espresso and the other being frothed milk.
If you simply add warm or cold milk to the espresso shot you may as well have had a black coffee with milk! It generally doesn’t taste as good as if the milk hasn’t been frothed.
So the point of frothing milk is to get the second ingredient to our latte just right, in order to taste a really aromatic and tasteful latte.
Recommended Article: Is it Ok to Drink Decaf At Night?
What is coffee with frothed milk called?
A coffee with froth milk has many names, if it contains frothed milk the coffee drink can usually be referred to as;
- Flat White (A drink in New Zealand and Australia)
- Caffe Mocha
- Latte Macchiato
These are the most popular drinks with froth milk in them, and although they all contain frothed milk, the types of drink are created by how long the milk is frothed for.
In the first instance milk is first steamed to the required temperature, and then at the final part of steaming it is frothed. The froth is created by adding air into the milk mixture to create a film layer called froth.
This froth layer can be really thin or really thick, and needs to be a certain consistency in order for us to create the drink we need.
Buyers Guide to the Best Milk Frothers for Lattes
Now that we know what the best milk frother is for steaming and frothing milk, we have to guide you into the right direction to make sure you purchase the one you need.
There are various types of froth machines on the market, some handheld, some manual or electronic and some that are even built into your espresso machine.
If you had a milk steamer built into your espresso machine then you wouldn’t be looking for another one, unless yours has broken down somehow.
Hand held or Container! What Suits you Better
When you choose a home milk steamer or froth machine you’ll have a choice between two main types.
- A handheld milk frother
- A capsule design
Both have their pros and cons, with the handheld frother generally can come in a manual or electric one. With a manual frother you’ll be standing there forever, so we don’t recommend getting these.
An electric handheld frother is perfect for portability, however they typically don’t heat the milk up to a high enough temperature to enjoy your drink.
Capsule coffee milk steamers can do both, they typically steam the milk by heating it first and then frothing near the end or during the steaming process.Entry model Nespresso machines typically have a capsule milk steamer which is a great way to steam milk.
When looking for a milk foamer consider buying one with the right features that can deliver the results you need.
It’s easy to go overboard in your budget when buying these things, but do keep in mind that expensive doesn’t necessarily mean that it does a better job than a middle tiered milk frother.
Capacity goes a long way!
This one is important, we mean really important, when we got our first Nespresso machine for our office, we soon realised that it could only steam enough milk for one coffee.
In an office environment when you’re short on time during a tea break, you’ll be wanting to make at least two cups of steamed milk in the same session.
It can take some of these milk frothers about 30-60 seconds to prepare the milk, so if you can prepare more drinks at one instant then it’s obviously gonna save you time in the long run.
So if you got your hopes up high with your espresso machine that just isn’t living up to its name, then remember you can get the best milk frothers for lattes in our recommendations above.
We reviewed really good milk steamers that will make you a pretty good latte, and we consider the best one with good quality and bang for buck the Bodum 11870 Electric Milk Frother.
But if you find value in our other recommendations then do go for what your heart desires. If you felt we left something out in this post, then reach out to us and we’ll be sure to update it next time.
Until then, happy caffeinating.