You’ve heard that Sumatra coffee beans are some of the most renowned coffee beans on the planet, and you heard that right! In this article we’ll be diving into the best sumatra coffee beans that you need to try!
If you’ve been drinking coffee for a while and haven’t tried these beans from Indonesia, then you are really missing out! Sumatra coffee beans are a must try, and a definite bucket list when it comes to having coffee, given that they are the best on the planet.
Indonesia does produce other types of coffee beans, but the Sumatra roast is a blend of coffee that will transcend you to places you wish you could be!
In this article we’ll be covering the best sumatra coffee beans that every household will need to have. Our review will cover the beans you actually need to try, instead of what others are recommending. We’ll describe the body, taste and aroma of each sumatra coffee brand.
We love sumatra coffee beans so much that we took a deep dive into the history of these coffee beans from Indonesia. Here we’ll share our findings of the utmost important things about sumatra beans.
Then we’ll finish this post off with some Sumatra coffee bean faqs, where we discuss the common questions about sumatra coffee.
So let’s dive in and take a look at the best coffee beans in the world, Sumatra coffee!
Top Pick: Sumatra Mandheling Coffee by Volcanica
Editors Rating :
The best sumatra coffee beans has to be these mandheling beans from Volcanica!
A Medium roast coffee bean that's heavy in body, with low acidity giving your cup of coffee delicious tones of toffee and dried fruit!
#1 - Sumatra Mandheling Coffee by Volcanica
Our top Sumatra coffee that makes for an enjoyable and aromatic cup of coffee, on that delivers the best flavors, is the Sumatra Mandheling beans from Volcanica.
Straight from the Mandheling region comes this beautifully crafted coffee bean that delivers exotic flavors that will transcend you to another place.
When you brew a cup of these beans in your espresso machine or french press, you can expect to have a delightful heavy bodied cup of coffee. The flavors you'll experience from these low acidic coffee beans are toffee, lemongrass and dried fruit.
These sumatra beans were by far our most favorite pick!
#2 - Starbucks Dark Roast Sumatra Ground Coffee
- Sumatra coffee is a dark-roasted, full-bodied coffee with spicy and herbal notes and a deep, earthy aroma
- Darker-roasted coffees have fuller body with robust, bold taste
- Enjoy Starbucks at home. The coffee you love without leaving the house
- For finest taste, use cold, filtered water and store ground coffee in a cool, dark place
Starbucks dark roast sumatra coffee is obviously our next best choice! These coffee beans are full bodied and well balanced that once brewed delivers a flawless cup of coffee with a bit of spice and some herbal notes.
If you love a bit of smoki-ness aftertaste when drinking coffee, and would love to have an earth aroma following this taste, then you need to try these coffee beans in a cold brew coffee or even with your french press.
These 100% Arabica beans will have a more pronounced flavor than your ordinary dark roast beans, so if you really want a sumatra earthy kick, then these are for you.
#3 - Copper Moon Sumatra Blend Coffee Beans
- REACH FOR THE MOON!! Copper Moon Coffee is a family roastery focused on a simple mission: to create evenly roasted, uniquely smooth, high grade coffee, giving you a perfectly satisfying taste that’s out of this world.
- SUSTAINABLE COFFEE SOURCING: Copper Moon Coffee has created our own globally sustainable coffee bean sourcing program focusing outwardly to achieve a positive social, economic, and environmental impact. We search for the best high elevation, low elevation, organic, single origin coffee beans from small family owned farms in attempt to enhance the wellbeing of the family and farm. Our goal is to bring you the freshest coffee for you to proudly brew and serve.
- HAND CRAFTED ON EARTH: Copper Moon Coffee's handcrafted process begins with premium specialty grade coffee beans sourced from 5 continents and 17 different countries, then they go through a delicate small batch roasting process to ensure we bring out the best aroma and flavors in each and every coffee we offer. Whether you enjoy light roast, medium roast or dark roast, each sip of a cup of Copper Moon Coffee embodies a singular & delightful event.
- COPPER MOON COFFEE WHOLE BEAN: Copper Moon Coffee allergen free Kosher certified whole bean coffees are prepared in single batches and perfect for coffee lovers who prefer to grind at home for peak freshness.
Our next best sumatra coffee beans to try has to be these copper moon blend coffee beans, which is third on our list of the top coffee beans from sumatra.
Copper moon coffee delivers this amazing Sumatra premium blend whole bean coffee in a dark roast, which will go perfect in your french press or espresso machine.
Expect to taste coffee that is rich and bold with flavor notes resembling a spicy earthy undertone. These coffee beans were adequate, but definitely felt like hints of Sumatra but not the full bag.
#4 - Fresh Roasted Coffee Sumatra Mandheling Medium Roast
- THE WELL-KNOWN SUMATRA MANDHELING IS SMOOTH WITH CHOCOLATEY AND EARTHY UNDERTONES. The Ideal Coffee For Any Indonesian Coffee-Lover Who Prefers Low Acidity and A Full Mouthfeel!
- SINGLE-ORIGIN FROM LINTONG, SUMATRA. Medium Roast. Typica and Lasuna Varietals. Wet Hulled & Dried On Raised Beds.
- ALL FRESH ROASTED COFFEE IS Kosher Certified, Sustainably Sourced and Proudly Roasted, Blended, and Packaged in USA.
- ALL OUR COFFEES ARE ROASTED in Our Environmentally Friendly Loring Roaster to Reduce Our Carbon Footprint.
If dark roasted sumatra beans is not your thing then the next best sumatra coffee beans are these Fresh Roasted LLC medium roasted sumatra coffee beans from Mandheling.
Coming from the lintong region, and being single-origin coffee beans, you can expect to have a smooth medium bodied coffee with rich chocolate and earthy undertones. Making these beans perfect for an after dinner delight.
The beans themselves have a unique drying process, in which they are dried on raised beds, giving them their heavy dark chocolate and cedar earthlike tones.
A perfect low acidic coffee bean from Sumatra that will go well in your espresso machine.
#5 - The Organic Coffee Co. Sumatra Mandheling Organic Whole Bean
- SUMATRA MANDHELING: Indonesia's classic coffee grown on small farms & carefully processed, this Single Origin coffee is very full-bodied with an enticing aroma.
- WORKS WITH ALL COFFEE BREWERS: Our coffee is suitable for any coffee machine: drip machines, espresso maker, French press, Aeropress, pour over, and moka pot.
- SUSTAINABLY AND ECO-FRIENDLY FARMED COFFEE: We offer a wide selection of sustainably grown, sourced, and packaged coffee from whole bean to ground, flavored to decaf, and much more.
- QUALITY COFFEE: The Organic Coffee Co. uses only 100% arabica coffee and certified USDA Organic and Kosher coffee beans. We're so confident you'll love it, we back it with a satisfaction guarantee.
So far, none of the Sumatran coffee beans we specified have been organic! And, if you're an organic coffee junkie, and really want beans that don't have nasty chemicals in them, then these Sumatra Mandheling coffee beans are for you.
They are a light roast coffee, which are grown free from pesticides, chemicals and artificial fertilizers, meaning these coffee beans will give you a true earthy tone.
For a purely organic coffee that comes from Sumatra, you can't go wrong. However in our opinion these were a bit too earthy for us to enjoy and that's why we rated this as last.
The History of Sumatran Coffee!
The origin of sumatra coffee starts in Indonesia, which is home to the legendary Sumatran coffee that everyone wants to try.
Growing in plantations of over 5000 feet above sea level, on rich fertile volcanic soil, sumatra coffee is bold in profile and low acid.
But before we dive into the nitty gritty of the sumatran coffee beans, we first have to understand the origins of sumatra coffee.The production of coffee itself started on this island in Indonesia back in the late 1800’s and was a direct result of the dutch colonial influence on the Indonesion people.
Related Article: Unbelievable Zambia Coffee
Where do Sumatra Coffee Beans Come From?
Sumatra coffee beans come from a west located island within Indonesia known as Sumatra.
The coffee from this region is often bold and complex and most people believe it to be quite exquisite in taste and low acidic in acidity level.
Besides being known for smooth and well balanced, you can expect to experience tasting notes of earthy and woody tones!There are a variety of sumatra coffee roasts that one could select from, so whatever brew you are after, just know you won’t be disappointed.
Recommended Article: The Best Super Automatic Espresso Machine for Your Sumatra Beans
The Three Types of coffee from Sumatra:
There are three main varieties when it comes to Sumatra coffee tastes, and each are unique to the region they come from.Let’s take a look at the type of Sumatra coffee beans we are recommending you definitely try. So below are the three best Sumatra coffee beans you must try.
Coming from the Mandailing people of Sumatra, this coffee is produced in northern Sumatra.
Mandheling sumatra coffee beans are the most profound amongst top coffee brands, including Volcanica coffee!
The people most likely to enjoy Mandheling coffee are people who enjoy drinking black coffee or just espresso. In our opinion it is one of favorites!
Often coming in a medium roast, when you brew a cup of Mandheling coffee beans you can expect a rich and complex tasting coffee with an intense earthy aroma.
Related Article: Organic vs Non Organic Coffee
Lington Sumatra coffee beans come from lake Toba in northern Sumatra. Sumatra lington coffee still is true to its original earthy undertones, so it doesn’t linger too far from the most notable Mandheling coffee.
Coffee from this region is often smoky, with the sumatra coffee beans typically being dark. When an experienced coffee drinker has this, they usually enjoy cedar and fragrances.
Gayo sumatra coffee is from the Gayo region near Lake Laut Tawar. These coffee beans suit someone who is after a spicy exotic coffee, almost like the spiciness of a spiced pumpkin coffee.
The Most Expensive Coffee is From Indonesia!
Sumatra coffee really tastes amazing, but unfortunately it is not the most expensive coffee in the world! However, Indonesia does produce the most expensive coffee in the world and it is called Kopi Luwak coffee!
Selling between $100 to $500 a pound, this specialty coffee is actually made by collecting the poop of civet cats!
At that rate you’d be thinking you’re drinking liquid gold! We would really love to give it a try, but unfortunately the most expensive coffee is a bit hard to get a hold of for us.
Recommended Article: The Best Coffee Cup Warmer with Auto Shut-Off
Sumatra coffee facts - FAQs
Let’s be honest, Sumatra coffee is actually quite a popular type of coffee to have! Besides that it has amazing earth and wood like tones that will make for a rich full bodied cup of coffee.
However, you may be on the fence about trying these coffee beans! That’s why we searched forums and google for some frequently asked questions on Sumatra coffee and thought we’d give you the short and sweet answer to your questions.
Is Sumatra Coffee Good?
There are a lot of coffee beans on the market, different roasts, different tones but out of the majority of them, we’d have to give you a firm answer to this! Yes, Sumatra coffee is actually pretty good.
This low acidic coffee, from the volcanic hills of Indonesia, is something you have to try in order to appreciate the goodness one gets from a cup of sumatra coffee beans.
Is Sumatra Coffee Arabica or Robusta?
The majority of Sumatra coffee beans grown throughout the many regions of Sumatra is arabica.This is because the coffea arabica plant thrives in the Sumatran hillsides, which is the perfect environment that produces the best sumatra coffee beans that money can buy.
Does Sumatra Coffee Have More Caffeine?
Since Sumatra coffee beans are produced from the Arabica coffee plant, it actually contains no more or no less caffeine than other types of coffee bean.
However, compared to robusta coffee beans it actually has less caffeine than them.
Recommended Article: Life Coffee Reviews, The Best Organic Tasting Coffee Money Can Buy!
What kind of roast is Sumatra coffee?
The majority of Sumatra coffee beans are usually a medium roast coffee bean that is low acidic.
Many coffee roasters offer a variety of coffee roasts, such as light or even dark roast Sumatra coffee beans. This is to attend to the broad audience of coffee lovers out there who love Sumatra coffee.
One other thing we want to mention is that, if you love decaf coffee then you should know that Sumatra coffee beans also come in a decaffeinated option! Which is a huge benefit if you’re trying to cut your caffeine consumption.
So there you have it the best sumatra coffee beans for your next cup of coffee! Whether you love espresso, cold brew or even french press, then Sumatra coffee is something you need to try.
Our top pick and best coffee bean you need to try is Sumatra mandheling coffee by Volcanica coffee! You’ll experience tasting notes of toffee and dried fruit, which makes it perfect for any occasion. Volcanica coffee is fairtrade certified meaning you know it has been ethically sourced!
Until next time, happy caffeinating!